As some of you may know, last winter Connecticut changed its laws to allow beer to be sold on Sundays between the hours of 10am and 5pm. This is great news for us, but it also means that we need to notify Sunday morning shoppers at 9am that they cannot actually purchase beer for another hour. Instead of covering up the beer shelves, last April I created this sign with the “shop” hours in.
There’s a great before and after for this – partly because before there was nothing. Deciding what to put in the window was challenging. I played with the idea of product images, food images, Westport images, and customers shopping. We do have customers come in sometimes not knowing what Trader Joe’s is. Should I be trying to educate people about what we do to try and pull them in off the street? Ultimately, I decided to go with simple and fun. Here’s what I came up with. My goal was to attract customers while they were either driving or walking by – this works for both scenarios.
For the last year or so there has been a big question looming on the minds of my captain and me: will we be doing a remodel? Well, just a few months ago we found out that the answer was a definite yes, and we needed to hit the ground running with preparations of a huge magnitude. Murals. This is my favorite kind of work, because I get to spend my time designing and executing paintings.
The blessing and burden of almost full artistic license has fallen on me to come up with the new store theme. This involved hours of research, sketching, imagining, and thinking about how to approach the new look of our store. With advice from the regional and my captain, we came up with a Compo beach/Post Road/Trader Joe’s/classy/fun theme. Its a mouthful.
Each time I came up with a new idea I asked myself if each of these elements were present. In fact, since finishing some pieces, I’ve had to add more Trader Joe’s feel, but I’ll get into that in another post.
THE BEFORE PICTURES:
The before and after shots are astounding because the store has changed so much.!!!
I finished this up at the end of September, and finally photographed it today, since it got moved from the window! And let me tell you, making double-sided art isn’t without its frustrations, so its a bummer that the back is now hidden. When you make two sided art, both sides have to be sanded and prepped, then lets say you make one side perfect and you flip it over to work on the other side, then the first side gets messed up because it’s face down… you know what I mean… So you can no longer see the back, which I worked hard on.